Coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk, rice milk, hazelnut milk, cashew milk, hemp milk and soy milk are some of the examples of vegetable milk, a drink similar to milk but, which is not made from cow’s milk.
As the name itself indicates, it is produced with a vegetable ingredient (grains, seeds and cereals) and can be used by people suffering from lactose intolerance, following a specific diet that prohibits or restricts consumption of food and drink of animal origin or simply want to try other Forms of milk.
In today’s article, we will talk more about vegetable milk, learn some of its benefits and teach you how to make your own recipe at home.
Benefits of plant-based milk
- They do not contain lactose nor cholesterol
- Low in fat
- Heightened percentage of mono and polyunsaturated fats, which are beneficial for the heart.
- High in vitamin B content
- Balanced relation between sodium and potassium
- They are perfect for people with slow digestion, problems with constipation, irritable bowel syndrome.
One of the most beneficial and oldest vegetable milks, originating in China and later extending to America and Europe throughout the 19th century. Let’s look at some of its benefits:
- It is good for those who are allergic to lactose;
- It is more digestive, thanks to the fact that it does not need enzymes to be digested;
- It is excellent for people with diabetes: it liberates the sugars little by little, keeping this component in the blood to optimal levels;
- It lowers cholesterol, is one of the most beneficial milk thanks to its composition based on isoflavones, fatty acids and proteins;
- It has a high calcium content. Improves circulation and healing;
- It has potassium and magnesium, ideal for the control of arterial hypertension;
- It is very patched for women, helping them in episodes of premenstrual tension, thanks to their isoflavones.
Indicated for children in the growth phase, people with low energy and in need of food supplement, is the milk of almonds, one of the most nutritious.
- It is digestive;
- Beneficial for anemic, weak people with liver or malnourished problems;
- Beneficial to the brain and muscles, because of its high potassium content;
- Prevents osteoporosis;
- Almonds help to reduce bad cholesterol;
- Its high fiber content is ideal for those who have constipation. In addition, it also helps to reduce the risk of colon cancer;
- High in magnesium, calcium, iron and vitamin E.
An excellent drink for people who want to lose weight. Taking it in the morning is ideal for getting a good portion of energy without fat.
- Its fiber content strengthens the digestive system and gives us a feeling of satiety;
- Lowers cholesterol and diabetes;
- It is very rich in carbohydrates, offering us even more protein than rice or wheat;
- It has essential fatty acids, such as linoleic, antioxidants and vitamin E;
- Its high content of beta-glucans helps us lower cholesterol and bile acids in the gut, absorbing them and preventing harmful elements from passing into the body.
Pecan milk is very suitable for cases of diarrhea. This milk has been increasingly consumed by Americans because of evidence that it is the beverage with the highest content of antioxidants.
- Prevents cardiovascular disease, as well as diabetes;
- According to numerous studies, it is more beneficial than other antioxidants such as oranges, spinach, carrots or tomato;
- It has a wonderful combination of vitamin E, omega-3 and 6 fatty acids, polyphenols and trace elements, selenium, copper, zinc and magnesium, ideal for our health and for our whole family.
Rice milk should not be confused with “rice water”, normally used when we suffer from diarrhea. This milk is made from fresh, ground, cooked and fermented rice grains.
- It is a light and sweet drink, which does not contain gluten;
- It digests well and, moreover, is relaxing. Its content in tryptophan and B vitamins make this drink in the so-called “seed of serenity”, since these substances are suitable for energy and balance in the nervous system;
- It has depurative and hypotensive properties;
- It is also ideal for controlling weight, has fewer calories than soy and almond milk, and is much more nutritious.
Make Your Own Plant-based Milk
The best way to avoid the additives in commercially produced plant milk, is to make your own. The basic template for nut, grain and seed milk is as follows:
1 cup nuts, grains or seeds
4 cups water
1-2 dates for sweetness
vanilla or almond extract or any other flavor you fancy
Soak the nuts, seeds or grains overnight in water to cover. Drain and discard the water. Place the soaked nuts, seeds or grains in your blender and add the 4 cups of fresh water. Blend for several minutes until the mixture is smooth. Strain in a strainer or special nut milk bag, saving the nut pulp for use in baking. Return the strained milk to the blender and add dates and any additional flavors. Blend until smooth. Nut milks will keep for 3-4 days in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
NOTE: It is important to use organic grains, seeds or cereals.